Pilates Workouts For A Healthy Spine
Just some of the benefits of Pilates...
- Improves flexibility. Doing stretches and exercises on the reformer helps elongate your muscles and increase your range of motion. Consistent stretching over time can help improve range of motion, which can help your body feel more loose and even improve your performance in other workouts.
- Increases muscle strength and tone. Your abdominal muscles, lower back, hips and buttocks (the ‘core muscles’ of your body) all remain contracted and engaged during a pilates workout. This constant tension helps keep the core muscles lean and build better endurance and strength.
- Improves breathing. The careful attention to breathing patterns practiced in pilates not only improves breathing patterns during your workouts and with proper, deep breathing, blood is better able to deliver oxygen to the appropriate muscles and organs, which can cleanse the body of toxins, provide a fresh, invigorating feeling, and help muscles recover better.
- Improves posture. No matter what your daily activity, whether you’re cooking, brushing your teeth, carrying groceries, pilates makes you more aware of your ability to pull your stomach in and pull your shoulders down for good posture and spinal alignment.
- Teaches control both physically and mentally. All exercises are done with control, as the muscles work to lift against gravity and the resistance of the apparatus springs and thereby control the movement of the body and the apparatus.